Thursday, June 18, 2009

Burress vs. B. Marshall

I put a status on my Facebook that asked for a couple of topics to debate, and I thank those who gave me something to rant about. I knew about the topics, but being able to see them will allow me to focus and really attack the topics. In case you were wondering, NO BRETT FAVRE!!!! Anyways, back to the first topic.

Plaxico Burress vs. Brandon Marshall-better on field acquisition?
-This is a very interesting question because both of them have off-field problems they are dealing with. I would personally take Plaxico Burress, even if you take the off-field problems out of the equation. That is not to say that Marshall is not an elite NFL wide receiver in his own right, but Burress has proven himself in big games.

When I look at Plax, I look at a receiver who was not able to practice during their Super Bowl season in 2007 yet he was still able to end up with 70 catches for 1,025 yards and 12 touchdowns. He also has shown the ability to come up big in big games, as evidenced by his game winning Super Bowl catch to defeat the once undefeated Patriots that season.

I don't believe that Marshall even plays with that kind of injury, because something that would keep you from practicing would usually keep you from playing. Like I said earlier, Marshall has been able to put up amazing stats (206 catches for 2,590 yards and 13 touchdowns in the last two seasons) and he is an amazing athlete but I don't believe he will be able to react to the on-field adversity.

As much as you would like to discount the off-field issues, doing that would simply turn this into fantasy football. While Burress has his issues, such as shooting himself in the leg and criminal possession of a handgun. He has also had problems with NY Giants Head Coach Tom Coughlin for coming late to meetings. However, I do not think that he has the problems that Marshall has. Marshall has had domestic disturbances, yet he still denies it. Marshall also seems to be more of a diva to me than Burress, and this is at the biggest diva position in all of professional sports. Requesting for a trade from the Denver Broncos just because there are some things that you may not like seems to show me a lack of professionalism.

All in all, if I'm a general manager of an NFL team, I'm taking Burress over Marshall. Now would I actually sign either of them? That's a question for another day....

For next time: Is Josh McDaniels turning the Denver Broncos into the Detroit Lions?

No comments:

Post a Comment